Sunday 28 August 2011

So much to do, so little time . . . . . 9 weeks to lift off!

Having started this ball rolling, I am now consumed with sorting out the accretions of the last nine years since my return from seven years in India.   Listing books, cds and dvds on E-bay, the second hand value of these consumables is almost nothing, and I keep asking myself why on earth I bought them in the first place...... I am also putting together a "picture catalogue" of furniture and household items that I want to sell (and secretly hoping to raise enough money to finance a couple of months in Guatemala) odd that my household items will probably not even get me the equivalent of a months rent on this house!  This is not a rant just a sobering thought. However, the good news is that when I leave, I will be like a "snail" with all my worldly goods in my backpack!  OK, with the exception of a small suitcase of clothes and documents left here in the UK, for my annual trip back.

I have also been exploring the possibility of selling the posh camera and getting a small pocket camera/camcorder instead. I like the idea of posting some short videos of my adventures. Would hate you all to forget what my voice sounds like. Ha ha! But would love to share the good, the bad and the ugly with you.

In the midst of all this the TEFL continues, every day a new revelation, I had no idea I had been "Present Perfect Continuous-ing" all these years without knowing it! Amazing!

I am hoping to get to the Kite Festival on the day after my arrival in Guatemala. The festival is held in the cemetery and surroundings of Santiago Sacatepéquez, close to Antigua as part of the "celebration" of the Day of the Dead (of which much more later!) These kites are all hand made by each family and represent the spirits of their departed relatives.
click pic to enlarge

"Guatemaltecos communicate with the spirits of the deceased through the whistle of the wind and the movements of kites at the spectacular annual Kite Festival, on 1 November."

"The kites are constructed out of cloth, coloured paper, bamboo and wire and come in all sizes, ranging from eight to 30 feet. They are true works of art, with brilliant colours and patterns and usually with a religious or folkloric theme. There is a prize for the best design every year and at the end of the contest, the kites are burnt in order for the spirits of the dead to rest in peace."

One thing that is very striking in Guatemala is that although Catholicism is the main religion, the older folk religions are all still thriving and many Guatemaltecos happily practice and integrate both: with or without the Church's blessing!

More next Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment