Sunday 31 May 2015

May 24 - May 30 The New Opportunity



Rather a long blog this week ..... but I hope you will see why and can share in the excitement!
Via Verde  - Bullas to Cehegín

Sunday May 24

Early morning walk, before the sun has actually risen!  Spent most of the day reading, enjoyable lunch of smoked turkey, mushroom, courgette and potato stew washed down with a glass of Manzanilla sherry.  Rested and read all afternoon, chatted briefly to Andy to wish him well on the start of his new job tomorrow. Bed by 10:00.  Devised my horario (timetable).


Monday May 25.

Up early to Skype with Nick at 05:30, saddened that our flat owners in Trujillo have cheated us out of 1 months deposit claiming that we have missed a payment back in 2013.  Completely untrue, but Nick and I decided that we would sooner walk away than argue. Poor him having to do all this.  I breakfasted and then took the 08:20 bus to Bullas and then walked back to Cehegín on the Via Verde, having found how to cut out a ridiculous detour.  The walk took me 2.5 hours and thanks to marking on the path I was able to work out that I walk a kilometre in 10 minutes taking 1,240 paces to do it. So 6 kms an hour, which is a good pace for now (3.75 mph) but hope overtime to increase that.  The walk seemed much shorter in this direction and more beautiful, and generally the walk was on a gentle slope down, so again easier.  I met 9 cyclists and 11 fellow walkers on the route, sharing a brief “Buenas Dias” as we passed.  Stupidly didn’t stop to attend to a slight rub on my left heel and as a consequence have a broken blister for my efforts. 
Veggie paella with Swiss chard


After a rest and read until lunchtime, had the remains of yesterday’s stew (well there is still more for tomorrow), started to think about my work plan. Basically my daily routine will be fixed times for meals with time for study, writing, cleaning, laundry and walks.  With days generally starting at 6.15am and bed by 10pm (except when I will SKYPE with Nick at 5:30am). 


Decided to replace the lightbulbs in the main room with energy efficient bulbs so gone from 120W usage to around 24W  with just three bulbs and also bought a timer for the emersion heater so that I have hot water in the morning which will stay warm enough all day.  But must have my hot shower first thing!  Was worried about the heater being on and off all day and wasting electricity and running up my bill!

Weather was around 21C with the promise of a steady climb to 28C by the weekend. See Cehegin weather stats here.


Surprised by the number of Eastern Europeans hanging around the streets of “new Cehegin” the seem to be Bulgarians or Rumanians and without work.  Yesterday saw local elections, no idea what the result was for here, but generally the two main parties have been given a thrashing.  But no revolution as there was in Greece, but maybe people will do that in the general election slater this year.


Have had a few doubts about what I am doing here, but that is to be expected. I think once I get stuck into my biography work all will come clearer.  Here’s hoping. But loving the place itself.



Tuesday May 26

Up by 6 and out for my walk by 6:30, today did 100 paces jogging and 100 walking was back in 40 minutes but a little tired.  The timer worked and had a lovely hot shower. Had breakfast, read then started on Wild Mind and did some exercise from the book writing without stopping for ten minutes, no looking back, no correcting spelling, grammar or punctuation you have to just keep writing. Four exercises  starting “I remember”,  “I don’t remember”, “I think” and “I don’t think” will review these and edit them tomorrow (edit for spelling grammar and punctuation, not content.   The exercises were exhilarating and this bodes well for the big task ahead!   

Went and sat in one of the small squares near to the house and got talking to my first local, nice old boy Joaquin, he said how tranquil it was here and that it was always like this, he said that there were some Norwegians living in the area and that all the youngsters leave as soon as they can as there is nothing for them  He also said that winter here was mild around 11 degrees and that if I wanted quiet I had found it. Actually I think life has not changed here in ages, just everybody is getting older. And then dying and sadly their houses are abandoned or only lived in for 2 weeks a year.   The council should do something about offering the houses to younger couples in need of housing, but as there are no discos, shops or anything other than some uo market tapas bars probably little to attract anybody on a long term, unless like me you are looking for the peace and quiet.  Where I turn all the negatives in positives.


Old cottage before restoration (with EU money)

After restoration
Had lunch, the last of the Sunday stew, and after a nap, realised that my hips were aching like crazy, not my legs or feet but my hips, despite this went for a stroll along the main square and realised  in Spanish I am in the “Casco Antiguo” (old quarter). Went for a wander around the lanes, every time I find new lanes and new views, and every time I realise that a good percentage of the houses are actually permanently uninhabited with many falling to ruin. 


Wrote to a local and well established estate agent (since 1945) as I am very curious to see some of the “ruins” or as the estate agents say “restoration projects”. Have appointment to view tomorrow.   Came back feeling very tired, sat and read an entire Ruth Rendall novel, gripping!  Had supper of toast and anchovy paste with a glass of Manzanilla.  All very civilised, now it is nearly 9pm and I shall go to bed soon as feel; very exhausted and need to rest my aching hips.


Tomorrow is market day!


Again been pondering, but I know that once I am ready to start the writing all will be a whirl of emotions. But the Wild Mind exercises are very valuable in preparing me for how to write and find my voice and flow, without being inhibited by structure style and the like.


The hardest thing for me at the moment is slowing down, I have time and I need to take my time and just let one thing flow to the next and not worry about the time or the next task or any other extraneous thoughts ….. I need to remind myself of my Zen monks simplicity ……. It is hard to slow down, but I intend to do it. I have always carried on a very creative internal dialogue with myself (no, not hearing voices) and I intend to allow that to also slow down and maybe take a break …….. just need to be patient as I discover the how of it.


Seriously considering the purchase of a kindle (Euros 79) basic model, but I so love the feel of a book in my hands I wonder if I can adapt.  But as I am also running out of books and the next flea market is not for 3 weeks …….eeeek! Maybe the Kindle only when I can no longer hold a book.


Wednesday May 27

Up early, "Skyped" with Nick, and got all his news and he got mine! Then of for my early morning walk, which is now a jog well  100 paces jog, 100 paces walk,  but maybe tomorrow I will rest up as my blister is not getting better. Took a detour to the “Eco parque” which turns out to be the waste recycling centre, next door to the sewage farm!  There was an interesting section of the Ecoparque full of builders materials and the like, maybe they have a little business on the side.


There was a group of cats on the roof opposite yowling, shut them up, with persistent stares.  You have to stare down a cat to show dominance.  Interestingly these feral cats are 60% white and seem to have been interbred with some Siamese along the way as they are mainly quite sleek. But run away it you move towards them.  One of the yowlers, white looked at me with his one eye!  Must have lost the other in a fight.  Also most of the white cats seem to have one green eye and one blue.


Breakfasted and then went to market.  Swiss chard, French beans. courgettes, apricots and capers and mixed  pickles,  has set me up for the next few days. Came back and read a little.


For sale "as seen"

Paseo Cirugeda 17.  Next to the restored cottages.
Made an appointment to view some “ruins” and was offered an immediate time, so set of for the estate agents and was taken by him and ahis colleague to see two houses; the first a real wreck for €9900 (Euros) was palatial, on four floors and if you had £30,000 ($45000 US) for renovations you would have the most magnificent house to live in. Potential for a stunning roof terrace overlooking fields and mountains.  The second, €14000, was a three bedroom cottage.


Downstairs, kitchen, bathroom (with bath), living room with wood burning stove and a bedroom in what would have been a further living/dining room.  Upstairs empty space, two bedrooms and a store room.  Under a sloping roof.  No leaks so the roof is sound.


The place was still furnished, and was just as it had been left, the previous owner must have moved downstairs as there are hand grips into the doorway by the kitchen  up from the road.  Furnished down to display cabinets with family photos in them – bit sad.


The house is situated on the hill of the “Hermita of the Conception” and the road is actually part of a wide terrace giving views over the valley. There are just seven houses in the terrace, the two to the left of the property are redeveloped as rental houses owned by the municipality (and done up with EU rural funds). This house could look the same with some investment, not a lot as the house is habitable and just need some re-arranging, new wiring and lots of TLC.



Kitchen

Front room

Beamed ceilings

Bedroom 2
On the agents website the price of the house was €9900 , but after some investigation I found out that the price of €14000, included all the fees necessary including taxes, lawyers, notaries, registrations etc. It is also fairly usual for agents to quote a price with and without taxes etc. But the total price idea is very helpful. I saw the house as a very interesting project, buy it, renovate it, resell it (or not) and a project within my capabilities, time frame and finances. 


Wrote to Alfonso, the agent and said my maximum budget was €12500 including all taxes etc, he wrote back to say it would be difficult, but as I also asked to see the property again, has agreed a time for a second detailed viewing tomorrow.  


In my life opportunities have semi-presented themselves and I have never regretted any of them (well not at the time) maybe this is another. Let us wait and see.


I have to register with the authorities to get my NIE (registration card) absolutely necessary as I plan to be here more then 3 months and it is vital for any transactions I might make, also I can open a bank account etc.  Then I have to get some health insurance, there are many schemes here in Spain costing around 40 euros a month, after a year it is possible for residents can get registered with the state scheme. But my UK/EU reciprocal agreement ends after 3 months so I must do this.


After all this came back and made a vegetarian lunch of, vegetarian paella with swiss chard cooked in white wine, lemon juice and mixed with parmesan cheese.  All very scrummy!


Took some rest, siesta time (so important).  Afterwards took some post that had arrived for the owners to his office as it was in the same complex as Mercadona, and saw that he operated a book exchange scheme. So for €1 I can get a second hand book and if I then exchange it my next book is only €0.50!  When I got back I contacted him and asked when the book exchange scheme was open.  I will be there tomorrow as I am down to my last Ruth Rendell novel.


Did quick bit of shopping in Mercadona, bought bottle of red Crianza 2012 for €1.29 along with some pate.

Went for a stroll in the early evening, had another look at the cottage from the outside, thinking about potentialities (interesting word). Extended the stroll and came back, did some thinking, late supper, Gazpacho and toast. The Crianza is just drinkable, (note to self – go mad a spend an extra euro and get really nice wine and for 3 euros more enjoy a wine that would cost £15 in the UK or Soles 50 in Peru.) 
I have a budget each week of €50 so far this week  €30 has gone on food which I think I excellent given the quality of what I have been eating and not a processed product in sight! €30  and I have had wine with every main meal and brandy in my coffee – I do love Carajillos ….. can’t be bad. Who needs Iceland!


The classical music station here is quite good, there is a broadcast concert every night at 8pm so am enjoying listening. The TV as such has been abandoned.  If I need news I have the good old BBC radio 4. Bed by 10:30.



Paseo Cirugeda - road down from the Hermita

Paseo Cirugeda - looking up from cottage


Thursday May 28         WEEK 3.

No walk this morning as my blister was very painful.  Went to have extended second look at the house at 09:30 complete with camera in hand.  The agent said that the family wanted a quick sale but also they felt that the price on offer was already well below it market value so we would need to stick to the price, so the final price is in the region of €14400 including all fees, taxes and expenses.   

Once I gave my confirmation the agent would arrange my NIE for me, and then an agreement to buy would be made in which I pay €1000 deposit, if I back out I loose this, if they back out they must pay me €2000 this is Spanish law.  The process will all be handled by the agent whose agency is also a lawyers and in 4 – 6 weeks the house will be mine.
 
Bedroom 1

Back room downstairs (currently bedroom) with stairs up.


Looking again at things I feel very good about this. I plan to first clear the house of everything that is of no use to me (the agent knows a man with a van) then I think I will paint all the downstairs rooms white just for cleanliness, then start work on the electrics and sorting out the kitchen.  I would hope to be able to move in live at least on the ground floor by the end of October.  


Upstairs will take a little more time as I want to remove a non-loadbearing wall, I know it is not load bearing as it does not reach the roof! In fact non of the walls upstairs are structural in that sense.  I have an idea to create  2 bedrooms and a study but most importantly to have a bathroom upstairs. Once that was done I can then convert the bathroom downstairs into a toilet, and utility room.  This is all going to take time, but I have that and it is so useful that I will still have this rental house, so I do not have to live on a building site.




Went to book exchange and bought three novels for €3. Spent the rest of the day, day dreaming or is that planning?  Bed by 10:00


Friday May 29.

Up early to talk to Nick about the house plans, he likes the idea and then went for a walk/jog. Tried a new route today on the road to Calsparra to the north, very lovely countryside and lots of farms tracks to explore for walks.  About 5 kms.



Today being Friday it was fish buying day.  Bought  600 grams of Boquerones (white anchovies) whole and very fresh from Marcadona alongside fresh bread and three litres of extra virgin olive oil (€8!). The oil is more expensive than some wine, but still really cheap compared to UK.


Decided to coat them in seasoned flour and then deep fry them. I also decided that I would not eat them whole, so I followed the instructions I found on a Murcian cooking site in Spanish  “take hold of the fish, grab its head and pull it off, it will come away along with all its innards” …. messy until I got the technique and it worked. The heads and guts went down very well with the local population of feral cats!   So lunch was Deep fried Boquerones, lemon juice and a glass of Fino sherry, followed by vegetarian pasta sauce with spaghetti and a glass of red plonk then a Carajillo.  The brandy in the Carajillo is the perfect way to mask the flavour of instant coffee. Real coffee only in the new place!  


After lunch I felt in need of a long siesta, wonder why?    I am not usually this boozy but it was the end of an exciting few days and I needed to relax and celebrate a little.   Spent the evening researching things like electrical house wiring, cement paint, bathroom installation, IKEA Murcia (yay!) for ideas,   ….. light supper of Anchovy toast then read until bedtime.  10:00pm


Saturday May 30th

Up early decided to take a walk after breakfast, but first I wanted to clear up the mess outside my front door left by the Swallows who are nesting in the eaves above.  Bucket of hot water and stiff brush in hand I removed the offending material, and as I was going back inside slipped and fell, cutting my arm and cracking my back against the two steps that lead down into the cottage.  Felt a bit shaken up and my back hurt so took some Ibuprofen and dealt with the cuts on my arm.  Walk postponed.  Hot strong tea administered.
A swallows nest (not mine) .... currently building in progress


Two hours later felt less pained, put washing in the machine then took a gentle stroll to Mercadona as in need of food for Sunday (here shops firmly shut on Domingo!)    Purchased half a chicken, for paella, bottle of good 2010 Crianza (local wine) and international silver award winner 2014 (€4), a block of mature cheddar cheese, pastries for breakfast (Sunday treat) and some fruit.


Back in time to hang out washing and have a coffee.  Lunch would be the remainder of the Boquerones (but today dipped in a simple water and flour batter alongside some onion rings, and also will fry them in sunflower oil and not olive oil as the olive oil smokes at high temperature. Much better idea.
 
Bocquerones and onion rings!

Snoozed after lunch, watched passing thunderstorm (first rain since I have been here) then back to my Ruth Rendell novel.  Can’t describe how lovely it is to be reading again, after so many years of losing the habit, to get lost in a book is just so marvellous.  Earl Grey tea and more Ruth Rendell then started to think about an early supper. Maybe followed by a gentle stroll (back permitting).


Have taken my eye of the writing exercises, but am thinking that buying and restoring the cottage which is a future orientated project, done in the present will be the perfect foil for the biographical work which is rooted in the past and carried out in the present.   Ying-Yang, balance.


In any case my life now is not a race.  Slowing down is really a tonic in itself.


After supper remains of veggie pasta, took a stroll across to the other hill and sat outside my potential purchase and day dreamed a little, so quiet and enjoyable in the early evening light and then had to hurry back as a thunderstorm was threatening and it started to rain again.   Back home read and listen to Cosi Fan Tutti on the radio, EBU broadcast. Bed 10:30, back aching a bit.
Paseo Cirugeda 17 ...... ideal location, fantastic views
 
Could such a view ever be boring .....  I think not.

No comments:

Post a Comment