Saturday 5 May 2012

Stream of Consciousness!


Panama City from the Air (obviously!)
26/4 On the flight from Panama City to Sao Paolo , having a  “Cuba Libre” which apart from the occasional beer is my first alcoholic drink in three months and this is airline strength! And I can feel its effect.  Once again the “seat fairy” was good to me and on an almost packed plane the middle seat next to me is empty! At present we are passing over the Amazon Jungle with its obvious signs of deforestation and mining that leaves the waters a horrible brown colour.

Hope its not just the alcohol but feeling very contemplative, happy to have Jossefet in my life, excited about developing my “Artes Movile” project [of which much more in later posts] and hope to explore more. Antigua is suffocating my desire to get to know the real Guatemala, but maybe with Artes Movile I can really take the project to remote corners of the incredibly beautiful country.

I have with me my Spanish notes to revise. I speak only Spanish with Jossefet as he has no English- which is good for me, but I suspect that he keeps his vocabulary pretty basic for my sake.

Plan for the 3rd day of activities are meeting with resistance from the Founder in Santiago Zamora, I really am beginning to think that he runs the project for his convenience rather than the needs of the children,  he needs support yet I think he resents resents the work done by CasaSito.  I think his agenda is not 100% healthy for the future of the project.  Jossefet and I have been working so hard in developing ideas as the children deserve so much more, in fact they deserve the best. It is amazing what can be done here, but peoples motives have to be clear and I fear that projects run by well meaning people but without supervision or oversight can wander from the pathway so easily!  Which is why I want my project to be firmly under the umbrella of another organisation with a supervisory boards etc.  No such thing here as police or CRB checks for working with children or vulnerable adults.

 Turbulence at 39,000 has made my handwriting quite hard to read at this point, that combined with the effects of the booze really is turning this into a bit of a stream of consciousness , but I plan to type it exactly as I wrote it!

I feel very much the question of what is the meaning of life ~ with mine being so eventful and so not boring ~ I wonder if I have always be pre-programmed to be a “nomad” and that for me that is the answer to the ultimate question, so, NOT a lemon or the number 42 and just maybe then the Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy got it wrong?   And being a nomad is really “simply being” ~ simply being open to possibilities.  If you know different, answers on a postcard to ……

At this time, with the good fortune of the small pension, I am able to “give back” and that is important to me. Is it guilt?  This is a topic for a few interesting dinners in August (Martin, Michael, Jeff et al…..) I arrive on August 15th!

I hope that I get to feel that sense of achievement, at the moment I am struggling with a sense of failure in that my efforts in Santiago Zamora are not going according to plan and I so want to be successful in one thing before I shuffle off!  I feel my life to have been a very interesting, exciting, dynamic and creative succession of events but all ultimately doomed to fall short of the planned success I was seeking. Or, is ita case of my low boredom threshold, ADHD, or too much creativity?

Anyways at the moment my heart and soul are in two things:A.  My relationship# have I finally plucked up the courage to love and be loved?  And  B. to strive to get Artes Moviles  of the ground.

OK, still bumping along over the jungle (and will be for another 3 to 4 hours). Hungry and looking forwards to my lunch especially as Copa Airlines turned out a very excellent breakfast of omelette, refried beans, cheese and fried platinos on my flight from Guatemala City to Panama City.

So folks, happy and frustrated. I hope that one or two people in Guatemala will be bale to help me realise my ambitions for Artes Moviles as it will be a power for good and add something to the lives of about 3000 children a year many of whom currently have little or nothing.

The Amazon basin really is wonderfully interminable. Meandering tributaries, of tributaries, of tributaries, of the mighty River Amazon. And just vast expanses of jungle as far as the eye can see from 39,000 feet.

If I stay in Guatemala and Artes Moviles gets off the ground the next challenge will be to learn one of the 23 or so different Mayan languages depending on the area of operation.  Guatemala is 70% a mountainous country and I so want to see how life works away from it all and learning the local language will be key to this. Antigua promotes a sanitised version of the Mayan life ~ especially for the convoys of tourists who arrive from a cruise ship and “do” panoramic Guatemala in 6 hours and including Antigua in 2 hours along with obligatory Marimba Music and folk dancers. Who as soon as the tourists have gone, change out of the “Traditional clothes” and go back to the westernised life in Antigua!   Me cynical?  I want to see this for “real” not as a tourist.

Jossefet and I are currently experimenting with ideas for crafts projects, the mobiles made from terracotta “Barro” and jewellery made from wooden, glass and acrylic beads.  We are beading and wiring to our hearts content and have to keep stopping to remember we are supposed to be creating projects for the children aged 5 – 12 and not get carried away in the sheer creativity of creating another “outstanding” piece of jewellery!

Hands up, who remembers the formation of Ox-bow lakes from their geography lessons. The view is a living textbook example of this repeated many hundreds of times, but the clouds keep stopping me from getting a good picture of this.

Lunch was a disappointment, very dry salad, bland meat with rice and for “afters”  a packet of Oreos: those American biscuits simply full of preservatives and so unhealthy.   My diet in Guatemala is 100% free from preservatives or processed foods, though way too high in carbs.  I do however, enjoy our weekly BBQ especially with good steak at £2 per pound and Chicken at 50p per pound.  {Carne asada ~guacamole ~chimol ~onions ~corn on the cob ~ rice, chilli sauce ~tortillas al washed down with jamaica or tamarindo  - food of the (Mayan) gods. }

Well lunch sobered me up, so now it is time for coffee then a snooze before I arrive in Sao Paolo for my connecting flight to Florianopolis.  And a meeting with Batman ~ oh no, that is Metropolis!


27/4

Arrived 2 hours late to the hotel, at 2 am  TAM the Brazilian airline having furnished me with material for my session tomorrow!   How can an airline boast of  Dialogue being at the heartof its customer service yet fail to inform passengers why the flight is 100 minutes late?  But right now I am enjoying the sun and the view and realise just how much I need this break from my usual routine. Eurochambres kindly allowed me to arrive a day early in order to recuperate from the flight, it is actually harder and takes longer to get here from Guatemala than from London!  So I am going to chill.

No more introspection- - - - going to chill and will write again whne back in Antigua!


Hasta Luego Amigos!


More pics of Florianopolis  in next blog!







No comments:

Post a Comment