Thursday 24 May 2012

Sleep, food, routine, bats and my project!


Sleep
My sleeping pattern seems to change with the weather.  I go to bed much earlier and I get up much earlier.  I am up and about before 5am these days and in bed just after 9!  The nights are chillier so an extra blanket on the bed (no duvets or any form of central heating here) and because we are tropical of course we get around 12 and half hours of daylight pretty much unchanged all year.  It is light by 6am and dark by 6.30pm, I like to be sitting in the garden with a cup of coffee as soon as it is light.   And although I live in the tropics I also live in the mountains, what we imagine as tropical weather is only experienced in the lowlands here I live at 1530 metres which is around 5000 feet.  Often I am living in the clouds!


Food
I was just looking at my larder and realised just how basic it is:

Dried Black beans
Dried Red Beans
Sugar
Tea
Coffee
Salt and Pepper
A few spices
Lots of cinnamon sticks
Rice
Tomato Paste
Pasta
Tin of Black Olives (treat!)
Carton of Milk
Butter
Eggs
A few onions, tomatoes and courgettes
Biscuits
Yoghurt, some stewed blackberries
Cream and cottage type cheese – mainly for use with the beans.

That’s it!
Children acting out a story from the Mayan "Popol Vuh"

Routine
I tend to go to the market Monday, Thursday and Saturday and buy what I need over and above the “staples” mentioned above.  Bread is bought fresh as needed (daily).
And have decide that meat is for the weekends only!

My menu for the last seven days has been:


Pasta with vegetables including courgettes from the garden   (3 meals)
Caldo de pollo (chicken soup/stew) (3 meals)
Frijoles negro (black beans) and rice (4 meals)
Frijoles rojo (red beans) and rice with a couple of fried eggs (3 breakfasts)
Yoghurt and blackberries (4 breakfasts)
Cheese/ham rolls (2 meals)
Gallons of Coffee!

Basic, healthy and cheap! And typical of any Guatemalan household!

This weekend I think I will have caldo de res (soup/stew of beef) which I will have with rice and broccoli a pound of stewing beef will be sufficient to make enough stew for 3 meals, I have black beans soaking already…..

Every Guatemalan household ALWAYS has beans of one colour or variety available and they will be eaten at least twice a day.

I don’t find the menu boring, even though I occasionally wish I had a nice piece of strong cheddar and a glass of port!

With the change of weather everything is extremely “lush” in the garden, sadly that includes the weeds and the grass which seem to grow at an alarming rate.  I decided to tidy up the entrance driveway and removed some 7 HUGE sacks of undergrowth and trailing weeds.   Some of these weeds were on stems 20 – 30 yards long!

"Batty" was only about 4 inches across, so bedraggled!
 This damp and dull weather has also brought out a whole new set of insects and after my gardening efforts I found that my legs had been bitten to pieces (despite my trousers being tucked into my socks): particularly unpleasant as the bites from whatever has bitten me have swollen and scabbed over and they itch like crazy!

I also had another couple of nights doing battle with flying ants which appeared from the roof, I have now cleaned the gap between the tops of the walls and the corrugated roof (inside) and hope that I am both winning the battle and will win the war on these pesky ants!  

Bats
I rescued a very bedraggled bat from a plastic bucket of water, the other day, the  poor things was desperately trying to get out but of course could get no purchase.  I donned my gardening gloves fetched him out and put him on a tree within 15 minutes he had dried out and was off!

Artes Móviles
Harsh reality of rural life
The last few early morning I have been cracking on with a website for Artes Móviles, at present it is being hosted on a free site so is plastered with adverts and is very much still in progress. Once it is in decent shape I will let you all know as I will welcome your comments.

Boy farmworker probably around 7 years old

Even at 6 she has two younger siblings to look after!
Artes Móviles will be an NGO project taking music, drama, arts and crafts to children in rural and remote parts of Guatemala.  Given the fact that Guatemala is mountainous and volcanic, becoming rural and remote does not necessarily imply great distances but usually means high altitudes and unmade roads!  Ten minutes drive from Antigua and it is all pretty rural and once you are off the main road, you are on to unmade dirt tracks pretty soon!  Guatemala is one of the poorest countries in all Latin America.

Sadly only 42% of children finish primary education here. Many children have only two or three year’s education and by 12 the girls are at home bringing up their siblings and the boys are working in the fields.  Sadly by 14 many girls will themselves be young mothers!

It is a factor of Guatemala's crushing poverty,that this happens, outside of the public gaze in the romote hillsides where there is little orno education and communities have never recovered from the 36 year long civil war which only finished in 1996. Itis the harshest of economic necessity that forces these children to abandon their childhood!

Childhood is brief and in many cases merely a preparation for taking on an adult role as soon as possible. Self expression forms no part of an education system where children mainly learn by rote copying down notes and receiving no 1-2-1 help support or encouragement.

A rural school.
Art, music and drama is simply absent, which in many cases also means that any connection with their own cultural Mayan heritage is lost.



The idea of Artes Móviles is simple.  Take an MPV stuff it full of arts based activities and go out and about and for a morning or an afternoon a week give a group of children the chance to paint, sing, play and express themselves in new and exciting ways.  They have the chance to achieve something with which they can be proud, often for the very first time!  Many organisations are devoted to general education, welfare and nutrition, but hardly any can afford the costs for providing what is seen as a luxury of exposure to the arts and all the wonders its holds.  Artes Móviles hopes to bridge and fill that gap for some 10,000 (yes, ten thousand) over the first three years of its operation.  It will provide eight, half-day, weekly sessions for groups of children, the first ten groups of children have already been identified, and during  the school holidays Artes Móviles will setup “shop” in rural, remote and/or mountain villages and simply open its doors to all comers!

At the moment I am in the process of setting up the strategy, I have to form an NGO here in Guatemala and will need to form a charity in the UK (as this is where I hope to attract the funds from), I hope to enlist the support of friends to get a viral/social marketing campaign off the ground.  Here I am hoping that the embassy will help with introductions to every UK company working in or associated with Guatemala……. I hope that Artes Móviles will launch by November of this year. And start delivering programmes from the start of the new Mayan Calendar (22nd December 2012).

Its ambitious, but I am taking a cautious approach and not moving forward unless I am sure of the financial and other support.  I will start small and grow. In the end the project will cost around £46k per annum but I can get the project started with around 33% of that. Watch this space!

Children of the mountain village of Todos Santos (All Saints)

Today I am off to Santiago Zamora and my 40 children...... we aregoing to make bracelets, with shiny plastic beads for the girls and wooden beads for the boys!

Hasta Luego Amigos

No comments:

Post a Comment