Wednesday 7 December 2011

The Third Festival de Artes – PART two of this weeks blog!

Sorry but the videos will appear next week! ......   I need to find a cyber cafe with a good strong connection!

The poster I helped to design!


What a day!   Preparations had been going on all of last week. I was in charge of the art and sculpture exhibition.  Entries were arriving to the office/volunteers house all week and had to be sorted into categories and then a plan devises for hanging the pictures on large panels at the Cooperación Española on the evening before.




I was also in charge of buying all the prizes, which consisted of various art materials. So ably assisted by two young “interns” – two girls doing a months experience with CasaSito as part of their secretarial diploma – fortunately one of them was doing a bilingual course, so when we went to the Bodegona to buy all the prizes she was able to act as interpreter!

Well in order to cut a long story down to size,  it took three hours on the Friday evening and a further two early Saturday morning to get the exhibition ready for a 10 o’clock start – outside the building Paulo and a crowd of volunteers set up the various stalls, interactive activities and the stage. 




Suffice it to say the day went off without a hitch, except that two of my three judges, simply decide to go off for coffee, without telling the third judge and went AWOL for an hour and a half!  It was only when they got back that it dawned on them that the task was no easy matter – anyways after some time I got my list of 16 winners.


The day was a huge success as you can see from the attached pictures – the standard of art was in some cases extremely high!   The three best in show pictures came with a scholarship for the artists to spend a year being taught by professional artists, as a potential start to a career!

Aside from the exhibition I met many retired “gringos” (Americans) who all live in Antigua basically for the same reasons as me – 1. a little money goes a long way, 2. to volunteer and 3. to enjoy the pleasant climate!











By the end of the day I really felt a part of the CasaSito extended family! And look forward to making areal contribution when the new year starts at the end of January.


~~~~~~

Oh yes, I was shopping for bits and pieces for “my little yellow house”  (mi pequita casa amarilla) and came across a couple of stalls in the market selling plants -  Roses at £1 each and wonderful climbing shrubs at £1.40!  So I think a Rose bed is in order, together with some climbing plants up the supports for my patio (apparently a terrace is the name given to a patio on a higher level than ground level!) …….

This week I am enjoying the fact that after my lessons my day is free to do my homework in the garden and to try and find a way to upload my videos now I am no longer on Broad(ish)band!

Enjoy the pictures of my garden, the house and the ARTS Festival.




Hasta luego. Amigos  (After sometime!)

No comments:

Post a Comment