Sunday 25 December 2016

SEASONAL BLOG 2016 in Review (25th December 2016)

24/12/2016    22.20   Trujillo Peru  SEASONS  GREETINGS
Seasonal Blog December 2016




Well, 2015 was a year of decision making and after much discussion and deiliberation I decided to return to Peru and Nick. I was back in Peru by January 10 and stright back to work at the conservatoire BUT having got completely frustrated with the closed mind syndrome, I decided that the only way to resolve my feelings about how music was to be taught was to start my own academy.

This also coincided with the decision to really put some effort into life with Nick, and so we went out and searched for a new flat to rent and found an absolutely beautiful flat close to the centre of town but in a quiet and “posh” residential area. The flat is lovely, our home and our refuge.  (We got all our furniture out of storage!)



Fortunately I found out that if I formed a limited company here with Nick as the owners and then, with Nick as General Manager the same company employed me I was entitled to apply for a residential “workers” visa for up to three years and then apply for extensions. So we started this process in April.

Of course this process was far from easy involving innumerable trips to the lawyers, and various government departments however, the process including obtaining my “Carnet de Extranjeria” was completed shortly before my 60th birthday in August. So I am a legal worker here and Nick is my boss.

On August 23rd the “Academia Internacional de Musica” held its inaugural concert in a packed Teatro Municipal and we were up and running. Growth has been slow but steady over the last four months but it has and will continue to need financial support until we reach a break even point in the middle of 2017.
Inaugural concert

Back in April on St. Georges Day Nick and I held a small party to recognise our relationship and we swapped rings to marked the event. It was a lovely evening amongst our close more liberal minded friends. 

The influence of the church is still way to dominant, but I think even Pope Francis has a special place in hell reserved for the arch conservative, right wing, homophobic and misogynistic Peruvian cardinal Cipriani who makes his own interpretation of canon law, and has way too much political influence.

In order to focus on my new life in Peru and to curb any sense of wanderlust or enabling doubt to creep in I took the rather harsh decision to reduce my contact with friends and my ties to the UK. Hence for the last 6 – 8 months you have heard very little from me. It was tough to do this but I felt that it was also necessary, I wanted to make sure that I could be satisfied with life here and that meant no “home country” distractions. I hope you can all forgive me for my silence.

I feel Peruvian and certainly now work Peruvian hours 9am – 1pm and 4pm – 9pm. Nick and I hardly see each other in the week-night evenings, just time for a bite to eat and bit of telly and bed! And of course Nick works tirelessly for his company (but is very tired) and is out from 7:45am to 9pm as a rule. I also work on Saturday mornings whilst the business is building up.



My Spanish fails to improve and frankly I cannot get stressed over this (there is plenty of other stuff to stress me) so I speak my “Mott – Spanglish” but it is sufficient to teach with and my pupils and Peruvians friends are very understanding and indulgent. Nick of course has improved his already excellent English to a new level: we talk English in the flat and watch BBC World News and Nick is starting to appreciate the English sense of humour and irony.



For my 60th we managed to take of to Punta Sal for 4 days, which was lovely, this quiet beach resort was even quieter than usual as it was low season and actually just perfect for our needs for rest and relaxation. We don't see another vacation until March (and that will be subject to both the demands of Nick and my work).






September hailed the AIM “Academia Internacional de Musica” Festival of Young Musical Talent and I participated in 9 of the 10 concerts we gave in a two week period. Including 2 concerts with the symphony orchestra ay which I accompanied 7 young soloists (all students of mine at one tim eor another).





 I fell fowl of the administration of the orchestra who objected to the extra promotion we were giving the concerts via the Academy, even though the usual audience of 60 – 80 “old dears” was changed to 400 and then 500 young people under 30! 




 Pigheaded jealousy is preferred to the benefit of bringing music to a new audience and I was accused of vanity! Simply because I used my image on some very striking advertising that pulled in the crowds. The Administration refused to see this as a benefit and these successful concerts went by with no formal recognition. (F**k 'em – I and the orchestra had a great time!)



The orchestra performed new music and although we have had our difficulties in the past we were reconciled and they played the best they have ever played for me. See videos.





The Academy is slowly and surely building up a young following for our concert series and we are consciously aiming at an under 35 audience, our concerts are more informal, and we play a mix of classical, jazz and popular music styles. The Academy facebook page has nearly 1700 likes, so we are doing good!  We should hit more than 2000 in January.

AFter presenting Riley in C

Joking with the audience  I threatened we would play the piece again!


I am determined to change the way music is taught here and to encourage young talent and to foster real musical development. It is fun, frustrating buy ultimately will be worthwhile. I am contemplating the formation of a charity/NGO so that we can attract funds to take professional development of musicians to a new level. Especially in the fields of popular music and jazz, where, outside of Lima there is no provision at all! I want to start a professional development programme of 1 year for 15 young musicians to kick start their careers: tuition, concerts, recordings and business advice (if anybody knows where I can lay my hand on £25K of funding do let me know).
As yet a dream, but I want to make it a reality in 2017-2018.

My ambition for the orchestral directors post is firmly on the back boiler and the position is so enmeshed in politics that apart from asking to be invited to conduct once or twice a year, I have shelved any other plans (although of course I will apply if the job ever gets advertised again - just to be awkward!)

4 years Oct 21 2016
I continue to have problems with sleep, now down to around 5 hours a night if I am lucky and I do feel perpetually tired. I also feel my age some days, with my memory playing tricks on me, but I put this down to tiredness. And my legs feel like lead weights by the time bedtime comes. Hey ho!


Just invested in photo-chromatic lenses for my glasses and my word what a difference. Need to stop straining my eyes (and everything else!)

4 years Oct 21 2016


















Nick's career is going from strength to strength but he has a difficult boss and all the sales executives are treated in a manner that would lead to prosecutions in the UK – there are no rights for workers here and contracts are abused and ignored. This year he travelled to USA several times, Germany and France. 2017 he will be in San Francisco, Anaheim California, New York x2, Boston, Pittsburgh, Cologne, Dubai and Sydney. He looks after around 15 millions $US of contracts, but his company certainly demands their pound of flesh but for Trujillo he is well paid. He is the “king of the artichokes” responsible for the exportation of nearly 20 million kilogrammes of the product!

Homes and Gardens ?
We celebrate each month of our relationship passing 50 months this last week on the 21/22 December.

There is no Christmas Day or New Years Day “extra” holiday here, so people will be working on the 24th and again on the 26th and the same for New Year. It is hard to believe it is Christmas when it is around 24 degrees and sunny and the start of Summer. But there is no sense of festivity in the air, people are generally dampened for some reason. We have our tree up and the balcony is now looking like something from the pages of Home and Gardens. Which is lovely as we need this as our relaxation space and all the summer it will be drinks and food al fresco.

This year I have accepted the invitation from Nick's family to join them for the Festive meal at Midnight on the 24th. We will have our own quiet celebration on the 25th as well.

So, it's been a hard year but Nick and I are working our best to create a more secure future. I keep busy and try not to miss people and things and this can only be achieved by being more Peruvian and less of a foreigner in Peru. Peru has its challenges and drives me way beyond crazy at times but I have a good team at the academy, we are creating something worthwhile and I have the love and support of a good man. So lots to be thankful for.



A few more fotos before I go .....

National Day  "Fiestas Patrias"  with Friends in the Club Central!

The new Preident of Peru   PPK   "A very, very good musician in his spare time"

4th anniversary meal at La Piadina  (Our favourite restaurant for 2016)

Mr Cool aka "Fumble fingers Mott"

Seasons greetings to you all.
24 - 12 - 2016 

















No comments:

Post a Comment