Sunday 26 April 2015

The countdown begins.


Cehegin is to the West  of Murcia City


Sunday April 26:
The countdown begins.

In two-weeks I leave Trujillo enroute to Cehegin, Murcia, Spain where I shall be living in a small ancient house in the old Moorish quarter of the town and plan to live a simple life for up to 1 year.

The region of Murcia in South Central, Spain
As you are aware I made another big change in my life back in 2011, when I decided to become “Knowmadic mike” and I do not for one moment regret that choice.  In fact I do not think that I have regretted any choices I have made in my life, but as to whether I understand or understood those choices is a different matter. And I am not sure to what extent they were even the right choices.

The Old Moorish Town
However, there have been consequences and these have left an indelible mark on both myself and on others and now, I feel I have to take responsibility and explore root causes, motives and meanings.

I have thought about this deeply and even tried once before to deal with some of this stuff, but shelved those efforts after a few painful experiences.  The box was firmly re-locked but, the key placed where one day it could be found again. Peeling onions, or those sets of Russian Dolls come to mind in terms of what is to be discovered. 

Where did I put that key?

This is no ego-trip, I think it is going to be very hard for me, painful maybe disturbing but ultimately I have a sense of it being a journey of liberation and exhilaration.  Life demands that I deal with this whilst I have the opportunity and for some reason, to do it now.

I chose Spain because after a few years living in Guatemala and Peru, I can communicate in Spanish (at a level way below where is should be - and those limiting and critical voices in my head will also be under the spotlight), I am going to be living just two hours from two busy regional airports, Alicante and Murcia, that are well served by budget airlines to and from all over Europe (but especially the UK) and therefore I can connect as and when I need too.  Life is relatively cheap in rural Spain, the climate is good and the place sufficiently interesting to sustain me, through long walks and good simple food. This also is not a popular destination for ex-pat Brits. I wish to use my simple ability in Spanish as a shield and protection.

I will have limited internet access for skype and email, but propose to develop a disciplined routine, based on previous experience of ascetic living and in taking time to reconnect with much that I have taken for granted.
A goal is to write my auto-biography, warts and all and to explore issues that come up and to question my belief systems and find answers to why I do some of the things I do.  I will use my training as a psychotherapist and NLP, to assist me but I will balance all this navel gazing my other goal is a re-exploration of some of my neglected passions:

Cooking:
Murcia is one of Spain’s bread baskets, famous for fruit and vegetables, Calsparra rice, smoked pimento, and has three excellent region wines.  Back to making bread and exploring taste!
Cehegin - regular farmers market


Reading:  I used to read 4 – 5 books a week. I think I have read 2 books in the last 3 years. This has to change, I ache for the thrill of an un-put-down-able book!  Years of unread Booker prize winners, just waiting to be read, thrillers, sci-fi, classics ……..

Listening:   I have over 11,000 items of music on my i-tunes, of all types.  This last two years I only listen to analyse and teach, I want to recapture the simple joy of listening.

Walking:  I will be living in a region with many country walks, riverside walks, hill walking.  Time to enjoy and to get a bit fitter as a by-product.

Painting:
  I hope to see what comes up, I have found painting to be a great way to express myself.

Aloneness:
  I have been surrounded by people and now want to have extended periods alone.   Time to think, time to write and time to simple just “be”.
So much to do in only a year!   As well as to entertain invited guests and still be open to what life offers me, off-plan and unscripted.

Blogging:
I may be alone in one sense, but through my now private blog I want to share thoughts and ideas with YOU, this however comes at a price.  I need input and feedback if you are reading this you have been chosen because I value you. And I cannot achieve my goals alone, so please feel free to interact with me, question me, laugh and cry with me and generally support me.

Outcomes: I hope that the process of self-discovery offers me new opportunities for the future and I want to have dealt with some demons once and for-all and to be liberated from past actions.
I want look towards a future with renewed passion and vigour.
Of course this all comes with a huge price tag; I am putting “on hold” my relationship, I am abandoning my wonderful students, and I am once again taking a step into the unknown. But I have faith in me, science and reason and know the truth of the saying of Robert Louis Stevenson "Little do ye know your own blessedness; for to travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive, and the true success is to labour" or a the earlier Taoist saying  "The journey is the reward."

I do not believe I have chosen an “escape” or an “extended holiday” but I believe I have taken this opportunity to travel in hope, and top labour, eyes wide open and with “great expectations” but of exactly what …… Let’s see!


 KnowmadicMike   Trujillo, PerĂș.   Soon to be  

KnowmadicMike, The Hill of the Blacksmiths, Cehegin, Murcia , Spain
The new abode is almost in this picture!

No comments:

Post a Comment