Tuesday 30 July 2013

Back in Peru after a "blazing" few days in UK





Well, I have been back in Trujillo now for just over a week, my two weeks “vacation” whizzed past in a blur of meeting friends and enjoying the sunshine!  For various reasons, my trip back included not a flight up to Trujillo from Lima but by bus. This was a wonderful experience, not least for the luxury of the coach, but a real eye-opener inasmuch as I got to see the peculiar environment of this desert strip that comes up from the Atacama in Chile, for 9 hours we drove through sand dunes, bleak rocky hills and mountains and all to the accompaniment of the pacific ocean. A real wilderness, broken up by windswept villages, towns and eventually the city of Trujillo.

Today is Independence Day in Peru, EVERY house is adorned by a flag and many have been repainted. In fact it was the law until recently that houses had to be painted and flags displayed for this day. I caught the tail end of a HUGE parade last Friday, the parade is not today as the many military units will all be parading in Lima today.  I was amazed that almost every unit of the military had its own distinctive face paint  and the parade had something of a carnival atmosphere about it, good humoured but slightly chaotic.



Unfortunately my arrival here and a very unwelcome drop of some 15 degrees in temperature enabled me to enjoy three days with a heavy cold and that hotly followed by a stomach bug (and today the cold is back!). So rather than spending the time getting back into the reins I was stuck in bed or the bathroom.

I did of course manage to meet up with Maestro Alvarez and deliver the new batons I had purchased for him and we planned to meet up to discuss future arrangements for concerts etc.

 I so very much want to build on the great success of my concert on July 4th - record audience - record applause – and a great empathy with the orchestra. But, hey that was 2 weeks ago and now a thing of the past.

I am about to take up the position of Director of Music with Trijillo’s major youth orchestra - the Orchestra de Barro, part of Arpegio Peru. For the last month they have been under the baton and tutelage of Arndt Anhugan, a violinist with the world Famous Royal Concertibouw Orchestra of Holland and had a concert last Thursday, this would be my time hearing them and I was very excited about this, as on the basis of this concert I would know what the possibilities and challenges are for the future.  The concert was wonderful, the orchestra numbers just short of 50 and they gave extremely credible performances of works by Beethoven, Sibelius, Schubert and Dvorak.




On August 16th the Orchestra de Barro and the Trujillo Symphony orchestra are to give a joint concert, this joint orchestra will then be about 80 - 90 strong and Maestro Alvarez and I have been working hard to find a suitable programme, which we will jointly present at the concert to be held in the Cathedral, both he and I are extremely excited by this event, to the point where we are already talking about a second event next February!

Whilst in the UK I did some serious thinking about my work here, sadly the lack of interest and dedication in many students at the conservatoire has led me to reluctantly decide that I need to reduce my hours there, of course my new duties with Arpegio will more than take up the slack!




But things are all in limbo a bit at the moment as Independence Day on Sunday has led to an elongated weekend with many organisations not going back to work until next Wednesday, having shut up on shop on Friday.

And, of course, I got the biggest welcome back ever from my dear Nick...........

So, this is just a brief restart to my two-weekly blogging, see you in a fortnight.






No comments:

Post a Comment