Monday 26 March 2012

Is it better to travel safely than to arrive?

Well, first of all a big thank you to those of you who have written asking why there has been no blog for a few weeks.  This last four weeks has been a time of personal adjustment and realisation.  This blog is in two parts: part one -  more rambling thoughts on the subject  of “direction”, which I want to share with you and part two what’s been happening over the last few weeks!(out in a few days!)

The pics in this blog arein and around Santiago Zamora,San Antonio Aguas Calientes and aspects of the SZ project.

The performance group with our donors


So ……. If you want to skip my “navel gazing” await part two and read no more!

I am adjusting to life back in a developing country, although to be fair living in Antigua, one is hard pushed to see much sign of the poverty and difficulties that face most of the population. 

Two El Plan Infinito "angels"
I moved to Guatemala, as a conscious decision for (yet another?) life change, but I certainly had one hand metaphorically tied behind my back and I was definitely heading for harder times as I applied for jobs that I either really didn’t want or knew that I wouldn’t get being either too old or having a CV that was too reflective of my somewhat varied career! My solace during the most part of 2010/2011 had been the emotional support of close friends (thanks bro!), learning to paint and the cats!

Now, I want to be clear that I don’t regret my decision to move out of the UK, I do however, now fully realise just what an irrevocable step this has been AS I feel that there is no way I could afford to return to the UK to live, without having to a live off my “pension pot” which would last all of a year maybe two! 

So here I am. I am relatively happy….. but, I am dissatisfied.

Finding the right channels for my interests and abilities is still proving to be difficult.
Girls in Santiago Zamora
Letting go of my work experience in consulting and in enabling and helping organisation develop is very hard, particularly when faced with some pretty dysfunctional “helping” organisations.

Living in Antigua, I think will prove to be a mistake longer term. So I am looking to move out. Even moving 5 - 10 kms from Antigua takes you to towns and villages that definitely reflect the real (developing) Guatemala.  Live is tougher, but life is also simpler.  Most people are subsistence farming and hoping to build a little house on a small plot of land. Whereas, Antigua is all colonial architecture, restaurants, bars, boutiques and travel agencies (all wanting to take me to Volcan Pacaya- which is relatively inactive at the moment- so a big disappointment awaits!) They only place that reflects Guatemala is the market – which I love!  

One of the famous weavers of San Antonio!
So. . . ..  I have been feeling increasingly dissatisfied with life in Antigua as it is expensive and although stunning and amazing, should probably be the place I go too for treats (concerts, films, art, restaurants) but not the place I live, especially as I am not the ex-pat type and avoid most Gringos [foreigners, especially resident ones] like the plague.

Jossefet and I have been looking at places to rent out of town!  More space, smaller garden and a rent of around $150(US) compared to the $350(US) that I pay in Antigua for 250 sq feet and a huge garden.  With the saving I could/would buy a scooter  - brand new for $900(US)- Life in the fast lane. Or simply be a Guatemalan and take the bus!
About £600

The project in Santiago Zamora also presents its own challenges as does the running and management of it. So I have gone from being offered the opportunity to coordinate the project, to resigning from the charity, to now working for it “simply volunteering my time” two afternoons a week mainly running art projects, whilst a big line is drawn in the sand around the future direction of the project and new ideas are tried out. If things go well an offer is “hanging in the air” to coordinate the project from June (but many things would have to change in order for me to feel happy to do that!) AND actually running the arte stuff is very rewarding AND I did promise myself no more responsibility!

As one door closed another opened. I have been associated with the Cima del Mundo (CDM) – “On the top of the world” since 2006, having at various time studied some Spanish with them including an intensive month in 2008 and of course daily lessons during my first three months here now.  CDM has over the years developed a strong association with the Korean business community here in Guatemala offering Spanish lessons. Increasingly, over the last year or two Erick (the Owner) has received requests to provide English classes/lessons.  Consequently has asked me to join his team of Maestros and start teaching but more specifically to develop the offering sin English.  I will have my own classroom and the opportunity to develop and deliver courses individually and in groups of up to four students. And income will be shared on a 66% / 33% basis.  I could supplement my pension by around $US 125 a week for around 20 hours work more if I deliver courses at the weekend and take my days off during the week!   I never realised just how useful my hurriedly taken TESOL qualification would be prove to be (the cost of which was such a thoughtful gift from Martin and Jean!)

Additionally, thanks to the economic climate my pension payments have already reduced by 15%!
Will I have to start weaving?

Also Jossefet has come into my life and the last two months with him have been great, he however, with much encouragement from me, has decided to take up an offer from a close family friend of his, to go to Brussels and work as a trainee designer in his friends very successful interior design boutique, for six months.

So, during the last month I have been juggling with all these bits and pieces.

Town Hall - San Antonio Aguas Calientes
Where am I now? 

I think that starting during the next two months:

- I will move out of Antigua, and will probably try to live in the town of San Antonio Aguas Calientes, a 20 minute bus ride away, and only 3kms from Santiago Zamora.  I can rent a house, have a bit more space, giving me room to start painting again seriously to write a bit and simply to enjoy life!

- I will work 25 hours a week for CDM, and am already developing a whole range of courses.  I just hope my new found knowledge of English grammar does not affect my idiomatic writing style!

- I will develop the art projects in Santiago Zamora and adjust what I do for the project according to how things develop (especially as I may be living close by)

- I will try to save a bit of money in order to travel more in Latin America

- Continue to develop things with Jossefet ( even if long distance for a while)

- Get back to trying to be “semi-retired” and enjoying a simpler (stress free?) life!

Your views ideas and support all greatly welcome.

So, as  John Ebden (ancient radio four announcer, raconteur ) used to say “if you have been ….. thanks for listening.”

Blog 2 follows very shortly inlcuding   “British Day” with Fish and Chips! - Processions – International Jazz Festival – Los Ninos Anniversary – Food – art, Art  ART in Santiago - More Processions – The Cumbre del Presidentes de Central America in Antigua – y mucho mas- and …..  probably by the time I finish writing yet more processions!



No comments:

Post a Comment